Individual engagement is near it’s peak during the donation process and donors will be reading every word. So make sure you…
Personalize your fundraising page & let donors get to know you
1) Add a lovely photo of yourself, perhaps with your bike, or enjoying the outdoor environment that you love.
2) State who are you riding for: which beneficiaries have you chosen, what program/impact will their donation make possible?
3) What has inspired you to take on this challenge?
Let your donors get involved & keep them engaged
They may not be able to join you for the 300 mile ride, but inviting them to be involved by participating in a fundraising event, training ride, or with a financial contribution will strengthen the causes and organizations that you are riding for.
Once they are involved or have contributed, keep them engaged; share your training & fundraising experience with updates to your Twitter feed, FB page, on your blog or with follow-up “training and fundraising update” emails. Your donors may open up their own personal networks to help you find additional support.
Remember to take advantage of corporate employee matching gift programs
Don’t underestimate the power of matching donations! Many companies will even match employee donations made many months in the past, so it may be possible to submit for a match after they’ve already given.
1) Request that your supporters submit matches if it’s possible for them. It can be as simple as this: “Don’t forget to check with your HR department to see if your company will match your donation.”
2) Include a matching gift reminder/info on your fundraising page, or with Thank You’s, reminding donors to check with their employer. Even better, make it easier by helping them to find the forms and/or guidelines.
3) Use social media to communicate with your supporters, publicly thanking them for taking the time to submit a match. Make a huge fuss! This is your chance to publicly express your gratitude while, at the same time, encouraging others to donate.
4) Add your fundraising page link to your email signature, and remind people to check with their employers for matching donation, giving them the opportunity to double their donation!